Terms & Conditions
Please take the time to read and understand the conditions of booking set out below prior to booking a trip with us. We strongly recommend that you also read the Information and Itinerary brochure relating to your trip prior to booking to ensure that you understand the itinerary, style and physical demands of the trip you are undertaking.
- a) Our contract
All bookings are made with Khondlo Expeditions (us/we). By booking a trip with us you are deemed to have agreed to these Booking Conditions (which constitutes the entire agreement between you and us) and your booking will be accepted by us on this basis. The services to be provided are those referred to in your booking confirmation invoice.
- b) Deposit requirement
You are required to pay a non-refundable deposit specified for your trip/tour per person per trip for your booking to be confirmed.
- c) Acceptance of booking and final payments
If we accept your booking we will issue a confirmation invoice. A contract will exist between us from the date we issue the confirmation invoice or if you book within 30 days of departure the contract will exist when we accept your payment. Please refer to your booking confirmation invoice for details regarding final payments. Payment of the balance of the trip price is due 30 days before the departure date. If this balance is not paid on or before the due date we reserve the right to treat your booking as cancelled.
- d) Your details
In order for us to confirm your travel arrangements you must provide all requested details with the deposit of the trip price. Necessary details vary by trip; they include but are not limited to full name as per passport, date of birth, nationality, passport number, passport issue and expiry date and any pre-existing medical conditions you have which may affect your ability to complete your travel arrangements. On some more demanding trips we also require you to complete and forward a Self-Assessment form. Failure to provide requested details may result in additional
- e) Inclusions
The land price of your trip includes:
- all accommodation as listed in the Information and Itinerary brochure
- all transport listed in the Information and Itinerary brochure
- sightseeing and meals as listed in the Information and Itinerary brochure
- the services of a group leader as described in the Information and Itinerary brochure
The land price of your trip does not include:
- international or internal flights unless specified
- airport transfers, taxes and excess baggage charges unless specified
- meals other than those specified in the Information and Itinerary brochure
- Visa and passport fees
- travel insurance
- Optional activities and all personal expenses
- g) Age & Health requirements
Minimum Age: For most of our trips the minimum age is 7 and 18 years for music festivals at the time of travel. All travellers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian, or in lieu of a legal guardian, by an escort over the age of 18, appointed by their legal guardian. The legal guardian or their designee will be responsible for the traveller under the age of 18’s day to day care. If a legal guardian elects to designate an escort in their lieu, they will be required to complete and sign a relevant document, to delegate their authority.
Please note we cannot guarantee triple or adjoining rooms for families; accompanying adults may be required to share with others in the group on a twin share basis.
Variations: A minimum age of 18 applies to many Overland adventures, while a lower minimum age applies to Family trips and Short Break Adventures. Please check with us at the time of enquiry. All bookings for our Family trips must include a child under the age of 18.
Maximum Age: For most of our trips we have no upper age limit though we remind you that our trips can be physically demanding and passengers must ensure that they are suitably fit to allow full participation. We are able to provide details on mandatory health requirements; however, we are not medical experts. It is your responsibility to ensure that you obtain proper and detailed medical advice at least two months prior to travel for the latest health requirements and recommendations for your destination.
- h) Small groups & combination trips
Our trips are guaranteed to depart once they have one fully paid traveller unless minimum group size specifically states otherwise. This means at times we can have groups with small numbers of travellers. Many of our trips are designed to fit with other departures to create a longer “combination” trip; this means that some of your group may have already been travelling together for some weeks when you commence your trip. If you would like to know how many people are booked on your trip or any combination trip it is part of please ask prior to making your booking.
- i) Passport and visas
You must carry a valid passport and have obtained all of the appropriate visas, permits and certificates for the countries which you will visit during your trip. Your passport must be valid for 6 months beyond the duration of the trip. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are in possession of the correct visas, permits and certificates for your trip; please refer to the Information and Itinerary brochure for details. We are not responsible if you are refused entry to a country because you lack the correct passport, visa or other travel documentation.
- j) Travel insurance for trips
Refer International Travel Insurance section
- k) Flexibility
You appreciate and acknowledge that the nature of this type of travel requires considerable flexibility and you should allow for alternatives. The itinerary provided for each trip is representative of the types of activities contemplated, but it is understood that the route, schedules, itineraries, amenities and mode of transport may be subject to alteration without prior notice due to local circumstances or events.
- l) Change of itinerary
While we endeavour to operate all trips as described we reserve the right to change the trip itinerary. Please refer to our website before departure for the most recent updates to your itinerary.
Before departure: If we make a major change we will inform you as soon as reasonably possible if there is time before departure. The definition of a major change is deemed to be a change affecting at least one day in five of the itinerary. When a major change is made you may choose between accepting the change, obtaining a refund of money paid on the land portion of the trip only or accepting an alternative tour offered.
After departure: We reserve the right to change an itinerary after departure due to local circumstances or events outside of our control. In such emergency circumstances, the additional cost of any necessary itinerary alterations will be covered by you. Please note we are not responsible for any incidental expenses that may be incurred as a result of the change of itineraries such as visas, vaccinations or non-refundable flights.
- m) Authority on tour
Our group trips are led by an Adventure Expedition Specialist. The decision of the group leader is final on all matters likely to affect the safety or well-being of any traveller or staff member participating in the trip. If you fail to comply with a decision made by a group leader or interfere with the well-being or mobility of the group, the group leader may direct you to leave the trip immediately, with no right of refund. We may also elect not to carry you on any future trips booked. You must at all times comply with the laws, customs, foreign exchange and drug regulations of all countries visited, and you also agree to travel in accordance with our responsible travel guidelines.
- n) Acceptance of risk
You acknowledge that the nature of the trip is adventurous and participation involves a degree of personal risk. You will be visiting places where the political, cultural and geographical attributes present dangers and physical challenges greater than those present in our daily lives. We use information from government foreign departments and reports from our own contacts in assessing whether the itinerary should operate.
However, it is also your own responsibility to acquaint yourself with all relevant travel information and the nature of your itinerary. You acknowledge that your decision to travel is made in light of consideration of this information and you accept that you are aware of the personal risks attendant upon such travel.
- o) Limitation of liability
We contract with a network of companies, government agencies and individuals to assist in the running of our trips as agent for these third parties. We are not responsible for the acts and omissions of these third parties.
To the fullest extent permitted by law:
- any liability for any loss, death, injury or damage which you may suffer (directly or indirectly) in connection with or arising out of your participation in a trip, or any breach of the Booking Conditions, is excluded;
- you release us and our officers, employees, agents and representatives from any liability and expressly waive any claims you may have against us arising out of or in connection with your participation in a trip; and
- any condition or warranty which would otherwise be implied by law into these Booking Conditions (Implied Warranty), is excluded.
- To the extent an Implied Warranty cannot be excluded, our liability in respect of the Implied Warranty is limited to (in our absolute discretion): (i) the provision of a similar trip to an equivalent value; or (ii) a refund of the total amount received by us from you in connection with your booking.
Any claim by you is excluded to the extent that it is for indirect or consequential loss, loss of profits or economic loss, however it arises, or for indirect, special, punitive or exemplary damages.
- p) Optional activities
Optional activities not included in the trip price do not form part of the trip or this contract. You accept that any assistance given by your group leader or local representative in arranging optional activities does not render us liable for them in any way. The contract for the provision of that activity will be between you and the activity provider.
- q) Claims & complaints
If you have a complaint about your trip please inform your group leader or our local representative at the time in order that they can attempt to rectify the matter. If satisfaction is not reached through these means then any further complaint should be put in writing to us within 30 days of the end of the tour.
- r) Severability
In the event that any term or condition contained in these Booking Conditions is unenforceable or void by operation of law or as being against public policy or for any other reason than such term or condition shall be deemed to be severed from this contract or amended accordingly only to such extent necessary to allow all remaining terms and conditions to survive and continue as binding.
- s) Photos and Marketing
You consent to us using images of you taken during the trip for advertising and promotional purposes in any medium we choose. You grant us a perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, irrevocable licence to use such images for publicity and promotional purposes.
- u) Applicable law
The laws of the Republic of South Africa govern these Booking Conditions to the fullest extent allowable. Any disputes in connection with a trip or these Booking Conditions must be initiated in the courts of the Republic of South Africa.
- v) Registered address
Republic of South Africa
International Travel Insurance
Travel insurance is compulsory on all our international tours and should be taken out at the time of booking. Your travel insurance must provide cover against personal accident, death, medical expenses and emergency repatriation with a recommended minimum coverage of US$200,000 for each of the categories of cover.
We also strongly recommend it covers cancellation, curtailment, personal liability and loss of luggage and personal effects. You must provide your travel insurance policy number and the insurance company’s 24 hour emergency contact number on the first day of your trip; you may not be able to join the trip without these details. If you have travel insurance connected to your credit card or bank account please ensure you have details of the participating insurer, the insurance policy number and emergency contact number with you rather than the bank’s name and credit card details.
Khondlo Expeditions reserves the right to arrange a comprehensive International Travel Insurance on your behalf at your cost should you not have one at the time of travel.
Underwritten by Travel Insurance Consultants(TIC) a member of the Sanlam Group, this insurance provides the cover you need to enjoy your adventures in full.
These are some of the key benefits of travel insurance:
- 24 hours Emergency Assistance
- Medical & Related Expenses- Illness and Injury
- Pre-existing Medical & Related expenses
- Accidental death
- International Journey Cancellations
- Loss of cash or travel documents
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Charges or non-refundable cancellation of your trip.
- a) Cancellation by the traveller
- If you cancel some or all portions of your booking cancellation fees will apply. A cancellation will only be effective when we receive written confirmation of the cancellation.
- b) If you cancel a trip:
- 56 days or more prior to departure, we will retain the deposit;
- between 31 and 55 days prior to departure, we will retain the deposit or 50% of the total booking cost; whichever is greater, and
- 30 days or less prior to departure, we will retain 100% paid by you in connection with the booking.
Note that different cancellation conditions including higher charges apply to some styles of trips and additional services including Festival bookings. We will advise if differences apply and details can be found in the Information and Itinerary brochure relating to your trip. If you leave a trip for any reason after it has commenced we are not obliged to make any refunds for unused services. If you fail to join a tour, join it after departure, or leave it prior to its completion, no refund will be made. The above cancellation fees are in addition to fees which may be levied by accommodation providers, travel agents or third party tour and transport operator fees.
- c) Cancellation by us
Our trips are guaranteed to depart once they have one fully paid traveller unless minimum group size specifically states otherwise. We may cancel a trip at any time prior to departure if, due to terrorism, natural disasters, political instability or other external events it is not viable for us to operate the planned itinerary. If we cancel your trip, you can transfer amounts paid to an alternate departure date or receive a full refund. In circumstances where the cancellation is due to external events outside our reasonable control refunds will be less any unrecoverable costs. We are not responsible for any incidental expenses that you may have incurred as a result of your booking including but not limited to visas, vaccinations, travel insurance excess or non-refundable flights.
- d) Booking amendments
If you wish to transfer from one trip to another or transfer your booking to a third party you must notify us at least 56 days prior to the proposed departure date. A fee of R100 per person per change will apply (in addition to any charges levied by hotels, ground operators or airlines). If you notify us less than 56 days prior to the proposed departure date the refund policy applicable to cancellations will apply. Transfers to a third party are only permitted where the transferee meets all the requirements in relation to the trip, and transfers to another departure can only be made to a departure within the current validity period.
Amendments to any other arrangements made in conjunction with your trip will incur an R100 administration fee per booking per change. This fee is in addition to any charges levied by hotels, ground operators or airlines. No amendments are permitted to your booking within 10 days of departure.
At Khondlo Expeditions, we understand that how we collect, use, disclose and protect your information is important to you.
That’s why we’re committed to constantly updating our privacy policies and processes to ensure they are best practice and meet the standards of all relevant local legislation, including the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act) which was introduced in South Africa.
Information we collect about you
Depending on the circumstances, in the course of providing a service to you, Khondlo Expeditions may collect and hold personal information such as:
- your name,
- date of birth,
- postal address,
- telephone number,
- email address,
- passport details,
- medical information and travel insurance details (where applicable);
Details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries; and
Any additional information relating to you that you or a third party has provided to us directly or indirectly through our travellers’ or agents’ phone enquiry lines, websites, online presence, customer surveys or to our in-store or other representatives.
Information that we collect (such as about your health or religion) may be considered “sensitive information”. We collect it to provide you with our services, cater to your needs or act in your interest, and we are only prepared to accept sensitive information on the condition that we have your consent.
When you are travelling with us, we may take video and images of you that may be used in brochures, in our advertising or on our website. All participants of Khondlo Expeditions trips authorise us to use his/her image (such as a photograph, videotape, film or pictorial representation or recorded voice). If you do not wish for this to happen, please notify us in writing using the contact details below.
How do we collect personal information?
You may volunteer this information when you request information from us, contact us (and vice versa), make a booking, register interest for and/or enter a competition, subscribe to one of our newsletters, use our website(s)/apps, link to or from our website(s)/apps, connect with us via social media, by speaking to our agents.
We may also receive the information from a third party, for example:
- from people making travel bookings on your behalf;
- from partners performing services on our behalf; and
We will update your information whenever we can to keep it current, accurate and complete.
You represent and warrant to us that you have obtained all required consents and are fully authorized to disclose all personal information you provide to us including without limitation personal information of your friends and family members provided in connection with making travel bookings.
Why do we collect, use, hold and disclose your information?
We collect personal information about you so that we can perform our business activities and functions and to provide the best possible quality of customer service.
We may collect, hold, use and disclose your information for the following purposes:
- administering services we are providing to you such as arranging your tour booking
- some countries will only permit travel if you provide your advance passenger data. These requirements may differ depending upon your destination and you are advised to check. Even if not mandatory, we may exercise our discretion to assist where appropriate
- manage our relationship with you, including updates about your tour booking and handling complaints
- to contact you in the event of an emergency
- combining information collected from you at different times for the purpose of research and analysis to provide a better customer experience, including customising online content for you
- to identify and tell you about services we think you may be interested in, including sending email newsletters or sending printed materials to your postal address
- providing relevant information, which may include sensitive personal information, to insurers, their agents and medical staff in circumstances where we/they need to act on your behalf or in the interest of passengers or in an emergency.
- to make improvements to our site(s) and make it easier to find the information you are looking for identification of fraud or error or for regulatory reporting and compliance
When you provide your email address to Khondlo Expeditions to make a booking, your contact details may be retained even if the transaction is not completed. This is so we can assist you in future with your bookings, and as a result of this you may receive a follow up enquiry email. This email will contain information on what action, if any, you can choose that will direct us to cease any further contact with you or destroy the personal information we have collected about you.
We are only permitted to store your personal information for as long as necessary having regard to the purposes for which it was collected or a related or ancillary purpose. We may therefore delete your personal information after a reasonable period of time and, if you have not used our services for some time, you may have to re-enter or re-supply your personal information to us.
Who do we disclose your information to?
We may disclose your personal information as follows:
- We may disclose your personal information to our employees, contractors or third party service providers located in South Africa or overseas for the purposes of the operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, managing your bookings, responding to your enquiries and to otherwise provide products and services to you, including, without limitation, to airlines, tour companies, travel agencies, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, legal representatives, business advisors and consultants.
- We may disclose your personal information to external parties for research purposes and to identify other services you may be interested in.
- We may share aggregated non-personal information with third parties, such as our travel industry partners to analyse trends and further improve our service to you.
- We may share information with third parties in limited circumstances without your consent where we reasonably believe the disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a threat to life, health or safety, or for certain action to be undertaken by an enforcement body (e.g. prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences), where disclosure is authorised or required by law or disclosure is otherwise permitted by applicable privacy laws.
- In order for you to travel abroad, we may disclose your personal information where disclosure is required by government authorities at the point(s) of departure and/or destination to process your information for immigration, border control, security and anti-terrorism purposes.
Trans-Border Data Flows
When you provide, or otherwise allow us to collect, your personal information, you consent to your personal information being disclosed to relevant related overseas entities and third party overseas recipients, as set out below.
In providing our services to you, it may be necessary for us to disclose personal information to relevant overseas entities. For instance, we may need to disclose personal information to our related overseas entities in order to respond to your enquiry. We may also need to disclose personal information to overseas recipients other than our related overseas entities (third party overseas recipients), such as relevant overseas travel service providers for the purpose of arranging your booking with them.
Where we disclose your personal information to a third party overseas recipient, your personal information will generally be received in the country in which the recipient will provide the services to you or in which their business is based. Unless otherwise contemplated herein or otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, we will only disclose your personal information to these overseas recipients in connection with facilitation of your travel booking and/or to enable the performance of administrative and technical services by them on our behalf.
By using our products and services, you agree that we will not be required to ensure that third party overseas recipients comply with South African privacy laws or otherwise be liable or accountable for how the recipient handles your personal information.
We deal with many different service providers all over the world, so it is not possible for us to set out in this Policy all of the different countries to which we may send your personal information. However, if you have any specific questions about where or to whom your personal information will be sent, please contact us in writing using the contact details below.
We offer you choices when we ask for personal information, whenever reasonably possible. You have the option of dealing anonymously with us, either on our websites or through other methods. There will be circumstances where this is not possible in order to complete your request.
- we may not be able to provide the requested products or services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
- we may not be able to provide you with information about products and services that you may want, including information about discounts, sales or special promotions; or
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences and your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
How do I access and correct my personal information?
You can enquire about personal information we hold about you by using the contact details below. We will need to verify your identity before disclosing personal information. Please allow up to 10 business days for us to process your request, however we will endeavour to deal with your request sooner.
You can ask us to update any inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date information we hold about you using the contact details below. There is no fee to make an enquiry or request in relation to your information, or for us to add to, correct or update our records.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
Marketing and Privacy
We may from time to time use your personal information to identify new or existing products that we believe may be of interest to you. We may communicate this via email, phone or your postal address. If you no longer wish to receive these updates via email, you may opt-out by clicking the unsubscribe link contained in the message. You can contact us using the contact details below to opt-out of receiving phone and postal updates. You can opt-in in future if you wish to receive these updates again.
We do not share, sell or rent information to any third parties for the purposes of direct marketing.
Use of TOOLS/”COOKIES” and links to other websites
Lodging a complaint
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it.
We request that complaints about breaches of privacy be made in writing, so we can be sure about the details of the complaint. We will attempt to confirm as appropriate and necessary with you your understanding of the conduct relevant to the complaint and what you expect as an outcome. We will inform you whether we will conduct an investigation, the name, title, and contact details of the investigating officer and the estimated completion date for the investigation process.
After we have completed our enquiries, we will contact you, usually in writing, to advise the outcome and invite a response to our conclusions about the complaint. If we receive a response from you, we will assess it and advise if we have changed our view.
You can contact us through the following means:
- emailing us at email@example.com
We will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your query or complaint is resolved in a timely and appropriate manner.
What are cookies?
Cookies are unique to the web browser you’re using – so if you’re using a desktop computer as well as a mobile, different data will be collected for each. You can find more information on the About Cookies website www.aboutcookies.org/
Cookies can be set by the owner of the website you’re on. These are known as 1st Party Cookies. There are also 3rd Party Cookies that can be set by partner websites. Only the owner of the cookie can see the anonymous information it collects.
You can choose to accept all cookies, reject 3rd Party Cookies or reject all cookies by changing your internet browser settings. If you don’t accept cookies, some features of our website won’t work. For example, you won’t be able to make a booking.
By using our websites, you agree to us using cookies as set out in this statement.
How the cookies are used?
- Storing what’s in your shopping basket: This allows you to book trips with us
- Collecting information: This means we can learn more about how you use our website so we can improve our products and online experience.
- Tailoring your experience: Cookies allow us to provide you with information, products and services that we think you’ll find interesting
- Making our marketing relevant: We can show you relevant offers and promotions on our own websites and through our advertising networks.
- Make it possible for you to use our website
- Show you information and offers that are relevant to you
- Find out more about how our customers use the site
Improving your experience
We can find out how you move around our website, so we can look into any errors stopping you from being able to do what you want. The data we collect from cookies is really important for us to improve your experience.
When you’re on our website, we might interact with you or show you personalised information and offers anonymously. Cookies help us to do this by letting us know how you’re using our website on your particular computer or device, which means we can work out what’s most relevant to you.
You may choose to opt-out of Google Analytics using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on which you may access at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
You can change your browser settings to accept or refuse all cookies, choose which cookies you want or don’t want, or ask to be notified when a cookie is set. Use the help feature in your browser to see how.
Changing your mind after you’ve accepted our cookies
Last updated: 01 January 2020